Philips Avent Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump Overview
Maintaining that forward-leaning position while pumping breast milk can cause some serious back pain. That’s what happens to most mums, and it’s exactly what happened to me. So I was thrilled to find out that the Philips Avent Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump was designed to eliminate this common milking-mum pain.
I bought a unit to try it out and see whether it would really ease my pumping-induced back pain. So if you want to learn more about what I discovered after using this product, then keep on reading.
All About the Philip Avent Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump
This pump is manufactured, retailed, and distributed by Philips Avent. The mother brand Philips specializes with consumer electronics, but their Avent brand products are focused on baby and breastfeeding supplies.
Their philips avent single electric comfort breast pump is one of three different breast pumps they offer. It’s their cheapest electric breast pump to date, and has created quite a buzz among milking mommies who want a pump that won’t cause back pain.
- Ergonomic breast suction design that allows mums to sit back comfortably without spilling milk.
- Small, lightweight, portable design at just 2 pounds.
- Can be used with all Philips Avent baby bottles for maximum versatility.
- Works both with batteries and through standard wall sockets for use in different environments.
- Quiet motor makes it easy to pump discreetly in public places.
- Uncomfortable breast cup fit, making it difficult to position the nipple and painful on the breasts.
- Weak pumping power can make sessions last longer.
- Single breast pump means mums can only pump one breast at a time, making the entire process much more time consuming.
- Bottles and tubing can be a tight fit, making it difficult to piece the pump together despite its intuitive design.
All things considered, it’s a pretty good pump. For a much cheaper cost, you can get average pumping power with a product that’s lightweight and easy to assemble. However, while it definitely does ease the back pain issue by allowing mums to lean back while pumping, the poor fitting breast cup suction presents a new kind of pain.
Which Mommas Would Love It?
There are lots of mums who would definitely fall in love with this pump, and then there are probably some who won’t find it too appealing. I think the mums most suited for this pump include:
- Mums who experience significant back pain while pumping.
- Mums who want a budget electric pump that won’t cost as much as other options.
- Mums who don’t mind spending their time with pumping.
- Mums who have strong milk production and let-down very easily.
- Mums who don’t want breast pumps that take lots of time to set-up or clean.
Things I Love About the Philip Avent Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump
- Straightforward Assembly – With the Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump, mums no longer need to spend lengthy amounts of time just getting everything set-up. With such a limited number of parts, assembling the Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump can be accomplished even without a manual.
- Easy Cleaning – Because this pumps parts are limited, and because it doesn’t have too many small pieces, it’s very easy to clean. This eliminates the need for mums to take their time with the sterilization process.
- No Spill Design – The Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump’s main selling point is that it allows mums to sit back while pumping. Because many other pumps threaten to spill milk when mums don’t lean forward, countless milking mommas have developed sore and aching backs. By eliminating the need for awkward positions, mums can express milk without discomfort.
Other Mommas Weigh In
- “I purchased a Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump because I had had enough of my older one. The whole pumping process was just too uncomfortable for me to take, and my back had practically given up on me. So I was happy to find that all the talk on this pump was true – it does not spill when you lean back. That’s really the only feature that matters to me. Now, I can express milk without having to crunch my body down for extended periods of time. I love it!” – Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump User
- “So, admittedly it is easy on the back, and for a lot of mums, that’s a major plus point. But what it does for my back kind of fades in comparison to the pain it causes my breasts. The cup itself is not comfortable, and the rubber inlay makes it very painful to use. It’s really hard to position your nipple inside the breast cup so you’d have to constantly have a hold on your breast to make sure it’s in the right position. I don’t hate it, but I don’t really like it that much either.” – philips avent single electric comfort user
- “On a positive note, it really does eliminate the need to lean forward. So now I can pump without breaking my back. The downside is that the pumping power is really weak compared to a lot of the other breast pumps I’ve used in the past. I would suggest that if mums really want to take advantage of the no-back-pain guarantee, they should at least by the Double Electric so they can cut back on time. With such weak suction and just one breast cup to use at a time, it will easily take you an hour just to get the session done.” – Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump User
A Little More Info on the Single Electric
- How much does it cost? – The Single Electric Comfort Breast Pump retails for 120 – 150 USD depending on where you buy it.
- Where can it be purchased? – This breast pump is widely available through the Avent website, marketplaces like Amazon, and other baby supply speciality online stores. You can also purchase it through physical baby supply stores in malls and other retail outlets.
- Does it have replacement parts? – Yes, most replacement parts can be purchased only through the Philips Avent website. All Philips Avent bottles are compatible with the pump, either by design or by using an Avent baby bottle adapter.
- What’s the warranty? – 1 year on manufacturer and material defects, and 90 days on parts and accessories.
For mums who are tired of giving up their own comfort just to get a session done, this really is the perfect breast pump. It does what it promises, and makes it possible to express milk without the need for awkward postures.
Of course, there are some downsides to it like the pump power and the single breast cup. This can eat away at your time, so if you want something that will allow a comfortable pumping experience with just half the time, consider checking out the Philips Avent Double Electric Breast Pump here.
If you’re really interested in the Philips Avent Single Electric Breast Pump and want to learn more about it, you can read more about it here!